Categories: Regional Inclusion & Community, Sustainability
Society Domain iAwards recognise ICT excellence that meets current and ongoing community, social and environmental needs of Australians wherever they are located. Technology infrastructure is changing the way we as a society connect, work and play.
The use of ICT to improve the community and lifestyle of everyone either directly or indirectly, is a guiding principle of the rapidly developing global digital economy in which Australia is a major player.
The Society Domain encompasses the broad spectrum of innovation from within the home, SMEs, agriculture and local industry through to protecting the environment, implementing sustainable regional development practices and providing a high standard of living which can remain a reachable target into the foreseeable future. Australian innovation is a world leader in developing and implementing ICT that makes a difference to society.
Judging criteria vary somewhat across this Domain. The Criteria and variations are detailed at the end of this page.
Nomination fees: $300 (+GST) per entry.
Regional, Inclusion & Community Category
This iAward covers regional, rural or remote ICT solutions e-agriculture, agribusiness, rural development, Digital inclusion, e-community and social cohesion.
The iAwards category covers innovative ICT solutions in a regional, rural or remote location. Solutions may be developed by organisations based outside of capital cities employing ICT professionals and supporting the growth of the local software economy. This category also covers projects whereby implementation and benefits are predominantly delivered to regional, rural and remote communities, excluding nominations in the Mining and Resources area.
This may cover but is not limited to e-agriculture, agribusiness, rural development, local government or businesses. Initiatives in NBN early release sites or towns outside of the capital cities are encouraged to showcase their unique applications of ICT to their local context.
ICT is rapidly helping to break down the barriers that prevent some members of the community from fully participating in, and contributing to, their society. Australian innovators are renowned for their developments that enhance social inclusion and improve the wellbeing of the community.
The recognition of the importance of ICT in supporting, promoting and encouraging social inclusion and community cohesion has presented the sector with challenges in how best to develop and apply innovation to facilitate these goals while also ensuring the technology is accessible and affordable.
Green IT and environmental sustainability.
ICT spending globally is expected to top $3.7 trillion this year, a growing percentage of which is on technology developed to improve environmental outcomes to meet community expectations while allowing for sustainable and viable business and industry growth.
Companies and individuals within the green and sustainable IT sector are faced with the challenge of developing solutions that offset, or at least minimise, the consequences of development and economic growth while meeting the needs that demand such development and growth. Using ICT innovation for cleaner, greener technology has become an imperative for the community, government and industry and one which presents huge opportunities to Australian innovators.
Criteria and Attributes
Entries in the Sustainability category will be judged according to the following criteria:
- Technologies & Innovation - The project/ product/ solution demonstrates: a high level of creativity in deploying appropriate technologies to develop the project/ product/ solution; a strong mix of functions and features, and a focus on customer needs.
- Trend Setting - The project/ product/ solution delivers the capability to solve a specific problem in the Australian environment and there is no similar project/ product/ solution in the Asia Pacific market.
- Market Share & Potential - The project/ product/ solution has: an established share in the domestic market; identified potential in regional and/or international markets; a clear project/ product/ solution growth path (i.e., is likely to evolve into diversified project/ product/ solution addressing different user needs); and the potential to claim existing market share from competing project/ product/ solutions.
- Business & Financial Model / Strategy - The project/ product/ solution positioning and marketing demonstrates defined and realistic business and financial management strategies.
- User Requirements - The features of the project/ product/ solution: fulfil all user requirements; show good evidence of customer implementation; empower most users to accomplish their tasks easily and efficiently; and are designed to provide scalability and expandability for changing technologies and approaches.
- Compatibility/ Interoperability/ Security - The product is compatible and interoperable with most of the other systems in the market, easy to maintain and fulfils all the basic user requirements for a secured system.
Quality/ Application of Technology
- Content & Standards - The project/ product/ solution: deploys the latest technologies, satisfies CMM/ISO standards; provides compliance with target usage requirements; and/or has won awards locally, regionally and/or internationally.
- Stability & Reliability - The project/ product/ solution has proven to be consistently stable and reliable with end-users.
- Organisation - The application clearly and effectively communicates the key merits of the project/ product/ solution.
- Addressing the criteria - The application demonstrates thoughtful consideration of the New Product iAward criteria.
For the Regional, Inclusion & Community category, the Marketability criterion is replaced with the following:
Value to Community & Society at Large
- Accessibility & Reach - The project/ product/ solution: is easy to use, cost effective and has a positive social impact, is used by a majority of the target audience; and has a clear potential for application to other workplaces, communities or circumstances.
Social Integration & Impact on Quality of Life - The project/ product/ solution identifies, includes and empowers the user, assists the user to integrate with society at large and/or transforms and enhances the welfare and well-being of the user.